This is my new favorite breakfast item, egg in a hole. Went to Sally Loo’s Wholesome Cafe in San Luis Obispo a few weeks ago and I had their egg in a hole. Sally Loo’s is the cutest little place, I could linger there for quite a while, drinking coffee, people watching, and of course eating. The egg in the hole is so very simple, but just the perfect little breakfast, one egg and one piece of toast. I’ve been loving egg sandwiches lately, but this way I’m only eating one piece of bread and it all cooks together in the pan so there’s very little mess or prep. Sally Loo’s serves their egg in a hole with fresh tomatoes and basil, the perfect side dish.
- 1 piece of rustic bread (I’ve been using whole wheat to make it more healthy but it would be great with sourdough.
- 1 egg
- With a cookie cutter or a round glass, cut a hole in the center of the bread.
- Melt enough butter in the pan that the entire pan is buttered.
- Butter one side of the bread.
- Add the unbuttered side of the bread to the pan and also the cut out circle to the pan.
- Break egg into the hole of the bread.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Turn bread over with a spatula.
- Cook for two more minutes.
- Your cooking time will vary depending on how you like the egg, but with practice you’ll have the time down.